1. Taxation & Fees
We support and promote a competitive and fair business climate.
Competitive and fair federal, state, and local tax codes that encourage entrepreneurship and investment are essential to the economic health of our region. The Chamber supports the following:
- The continuance of previously adopted tax incentives for businesses and employers.
- The elimination of business and user "fees" and excise taxes that are used as general revenue.
- Challenging taxes and fees that will further stifle job creation and economic development in our state.
- Monitor the operating and capital expenses and investments of all local, county and regional, taxing bodies.
- Accountability for projects funded by any new taxes.
2. Business Climate
We support government, fiscal, insurance and employment policies that make Illinois and the region more competitive.
The Downers Grove Area Chamber of Commerce & Industry support includes:
- Negotiating all major Illinois labor-management issues before the General Assembly within the confines of the agreed-bill process.
- Efforts to oppose unfunded healthcare mandates that cause escalated costs for both employers and employees.
- Job-creating incentives that enact pro-growth tax measures stimulating
business expansion without adding to the deficit.
- Employment of a comprehensive definition of charity care, capturing the
full scope of a hospital's community contribution and preservation
of the tax exempt status of not-for-profit hospitals.
3. Transportation Infrastructure
We support improvements to our region's transportations network.
Remaining a key transportation hub for the nation is crucial to the economic vitality of Illinois. The problems that adversely affect the quality and capacity of Illinois' transportation infrastructure are extensive
and negatively impacting Illinois businesses. Recognizing that fixing this requires a comprehensive strategy and adequate funding, the Chamber supports:
- A well-planned and coordinated effort to implement an ongoing Illinois infrastructure capital investment program.
- A comprehensive transportation infrastructure plan.
- Cooperation between the public and private sectors to meet our region's freight, transit,
rail, waterways and aviation needs.
- A prohibition on the diversion of road fund fees into general revenue accounts or non-transportation programs.
4. Workforce Practices and Policies
We support and promote a competitive workforce environment.
An equitable, common sense approach to labor and employment policies is critical to sustain a positive environment for business development and job growth. The Chamber supports a strategy for improving our state’s business climate that includes:
- Making healthcare more affordable for both employers and employees.
- Combating the continued expansion of medical coverage mandates and liability that has made healthcare among the fastest rising
cost for Downers Grove region employers.
- Equitable workers’ compensation statutes that address the current faults in our state’s unfair and burdensome system.
- Wage levels driven by the market and a reasonable minimum wage set by the federal government, keeping our region on par with competing states.
- Reform of pension systems and a prohibition on the diversion of any pensions funds for use in the general revenue fund or non-pension programs.
- Maintaining the principles of workplace democracy and fairness.
5. Economic Development and Entrepreneurship
We promote and protect economic development and entrepreneurship in the region.
The Downers Grove Area Chamber of Commerce strives to promote economic development in the region. There are many economic entities at work in Downers Grove
region and the Chamber supports policies that keep these entities working efficiently and effectively. We also support:
- Efforts to promote entrepreneurship and small and emerging businesses throughout the Downers Grove area.
- Promotion of international business investment and relocation also to
include expanding trade and global commerce.
- Respecting the rights of home based businesses to conduct business in a residential area while respecting the residents that live in those same
- Efforts toward retaining businesses currently residing in the Downers Grove
- Ensuring that the Downers Grove region remains a ‘business-friendly’ area in which to open and conduct business.
We support and promote an education system that produces and sustains a qualified workforce that maintains high expectations, standards and accountability.
Recognizing that a high quality workforce contributes to the economic development and strength of our community, the Chamber proactively supports an accountable and competent education system that produces and sustains a workforce capable of adapting to the changing labor market. To that end, the Chamber supports:
- Local control of financing our schools.
- The implementation of quality-based funding systems tying resource allocation to performance outcomes.
- Implementing a statewide annual assessment system aligned to rigorous academic and technology standards.
- Policies and initiatives through which future workers are given the skills necessary for life-long employability.
7. Civil Justice
We support and promote transformation of the civil justice system.
A poorly implemented system can result in increased or unnecessary costs, disincentives for innovations that benefit consumers, inducements to file frivolous lawsuits, inflated insurance premiums, and – most importantly – encumbrances to economic development and job creation. Examples of the issues supported include:
- Lasting medical malpractice reform including caps on non-economic damages, the option of paying malpractice awards over time, qualification standards for expert witnesses, emergency room liability standards, and apparent agency reform.
- Limits on excessive punitive damages intended to force businesses into large settlements regardless of their actual responsibility for harm done.
- Measures to reduce abuses of our civil justice system, such as venue shopping.
We support and promote incentives for investing in research, development and technology.
We support incentives for investment in research, infrastructure investment, development and advancement of technology that will help business grow. The growth and development of information technology, electronic commerce and digital government services for citizens and businesses in the region is a priority.
- Government procurement and business development policies and procedures that improve and maximize use of telecommunications and electronic information services.
We support the spirit of environmental laws and the balance of those laws with social and economic realities.
The Downers Grove Area Chamber of Commerce and Industry supports:
- Streamlined and simplified environmental rules and regulations that offer maximum operational flexibility, reduced administrative burden and expense to industry, and that do not hinder economic development and job creation.
- Voluntary environmental management programs.
- Financial incentives to promote industrial and brownfield redevelopment, voluntary clean-up opportunities and programs; and regulatory compliance. Strengthening energy infrastructure, reliability and affordability by supporting continued investment and energy efficiency in order to create job opportunities, advance the competitive potential of Illinois and enhance reliability and economic performance.